By Will Pittam, JulieAnn Caramels General Manager
Every Sunday, my wife and I will have dinner with one of our families; and lately we have been tasked with bringing desserts. This week, I think we made our best yet, and it's all thanks to JulieAnn Caramels!
As we did our grocery shopping for the week, we were brainstorming for dessert ideas with no luck...until I remembered we had some JulieAnn Caramel Sauce and I immediately thought of a Chocolate Caramel Poke Cake! My wife, Emily, searched Pinterest for a poke cake recipe, and we took it from there.
If you've ever had poke cake, you know you need sweetened condensed milk to give it that moist, rich texture. For our cake, we decided to mix JulieAnn Caramel Sauce into the sweetened condensed milk before pouring it into the cake. We were a little worried it might make the cake too rich (especially since we were using a devil's food cake mix), but it was perfect!
Total Time: 2 hours
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30-35 Minutes (as directed on the package)
Cool Time: 1 hour, 10 mintues
Finishing Time: 5 minutes
- 1 package of Devil's Food cake mix (with all other ingredients listed on the box)
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can of JulieAnn Caramel Sauce
- 1 can of chocolate frosting
- 1 bag of chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 bag of pecans (optional)
- Prepare and bake the Devil's Food cake from the mix, as directed on the box
- Melt about 1/3-1/2 of the caramel sauce in the microwave, stirring every 10 seconds until satisfactory
- Mix the melted caramel sauce with sweetened condensed milk
- After the cake is out of the oven, let cool for 10 minutes.
- After it is cooled, poke multiple holes in the cake with a fork
- Pour the mixture of sweetened condensed milk and caramel sauce on top of the cake, allowing it to flow into all the holes.
- Refrigerate the cake for 1 hour
- After the cake is all the way cooled, frost it, and then drizzle the remaining caramel sauce on top. Add additional toppings such as chocolate chips, pecans, or anything you like.
- Prepare to fight your friends and family for the last piece!
I hope you like this cake as much as we did! Bon appetit!